How long a refrigerator can last is a common question many people ask and the answer is not easy. There are many factors that come into play when wondering how long a refrigerator can last.
In the rest of this guide, I will tell you all you need to know. Keep reading.
Are GE Refrigerators Reliable?
GE refrigerators are a reliable brand and have many features that will make your day-to-day life easier.
GE is one of the best brands on the market. They’ve been around since 1892, so they know what they’re doing. They manufacture all kinds of appliances, including refrigerators, dishwashers, dryers, ranges, and more.
They offer a wide range of products that are sure to meet your needs and fit your budget. Their products are also well-reviewed by customers who love them for their quality design and performance.
How Long do GE Refrigerators Last?
GE refrigerators are well-known for their quality and durability. They are also among the most affordable on the market. In fact, it’s not uncommon for GE refrigerators to last 12 years or more.
How long your refrigerator lasts depends on a number of factors including how well you take care of it and use it. For example, if you leave the door open too often or don’t clean the condenser coils regularly then your refrigerator won’t last as long as it could have.
On the other hand, if you maintain your refrigerator according to manufacturer instructions then you can expect to get many years of service from it.
What are the Common GE Refrigerator Problems?
GE refrigerators are known for their durability and quality. However, even these appliances can have problems that need to be addressed by a professional.
Here are some of the most common GE refrigerator problems:
- Motor runs hot: If you notice that your GE refrigerator motor is running hotter than usual or overheats, you may have a problem with the condenser coils inside your unit. This is usually caused by clogs or dirt build-up in the condenser coils.
- Excessive condensation: This is another common problem with GE refrigerators that can be easily fixed by cleaning out the drain pan and debris tray.
- Fridge making loud sounds: This could be caused by a broken fan belt or other parts within your refrigerator. It’s best to call a professional immediately if you hear any unusual noises coming from your appliance because it could be serious damage being done internally if not addressed quickly.
- Fridge doors that do not close properly: If you notice that one or both doors of your GE refrigerator are not closing properly, it may be time for new hinges.
- Food spoils much quicker than it should: You may notice that foods in your refrigerator are spoiling much quicker than they normally would. This can be due to many different reasons but is most often caused by a bad door seal, as well as dirty coils on the back of your refrigerator. You will need to have this checked by a professional if you notice any changes in how long food stays fresh in your refrigerator.
How to Make a GE Refrigerator Last Long?
To make your GE refrigerator last longer, you need to make sure that it is well-maintained and cleaned. You should also perform regular maintenance on it so that it does not break down at any time.
Here are some tips on how to make your GE refrigerator last longer:
- Clean it regularly: The inside of your refrigerator can become dirty with food spills, dust, and dirt. In order to keep it clean, you should wipe the interior down with a damp cloth every week or so. This will prevent bacteria from growing inside your fridge and will help prevent odors from building up in there as well.
- Don’t overload it: Overloading your refrigerator can put stress on its electrical components and cause them to break down prematurely. It can also lead to food safety issues, as the temperature may not be uniform throughout the appliance. If you have too much food in your fridge, take out some of it so that you can maintain an even temperature.
- Check for leaks: When there is leakage from a unit or door seal, it causes damage inside the refrigerator and makes it inefficient in cooling or freezing food items stored inside. You should always check for leaks once every few months by closing all doors and checking if water has collected at the bottom of the appliance. If so, then you need to repair or replace damaged parts immediately before they cause more damage inside your unit.
If you follow the tips listed, they will help your refrigerator get more years of usage,
Signs a GE Refrigerator Needs Replacing
If your GE refrigerator is more than a couple of years old, it might be time to consider replacing your fridge. The average lifespan of a refrigerator is about 15 years.
In addition to checking the age of your refrigerator, look for these signs that you need to replace it:
- The door does not close properly or the seals are damaged.
- A strange odor emanates from inside the refrigerator. This could be an indication that mold is growing inside the unit.
- The fan motor makes loud noises when running. This can be a sign of a malfunctioning motor or bearings wearing out and causing vibrations in the motor shafts.
- The temperature in the refrigerator fluctuates suddenly and wildly between cold and warm temperatures (which may indicate a faulty thermostat).
If you notice any of these signs after long-term usage, then it is time to replace your GE refrigerator.
Agnes is a kitchen and cooking enthusiast as well as a fitness fanatic. She loves to help readers upgrade their kitchen with the best available products!