There are so many appliances that seem so appealing in a modern kitchen- blenders, Vitamix, food processors, hand mixer, etc.
At first sight, they seem to perform related tasks but can they be interchangeable. They all use revolving blades to convert solids into smaller versions, right?
If youÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢re not a professional chef, then yes, you can find a way to mix and match a few appliances and get the job done without spending too much! So in this article, weÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ll explore if we could get a food processor to take over the task of a blender.
If you are looking for a quick short answer then, yes you can make smoothies in a food processor, but the process of making smoothies in a food processor is a bit different and we are going to explore it here.
Unfortunately not all food processors can make smoothies, the one I use and recommend is Ninja food processor, this does smoothies easily (check current price on Amazon)
- Interchangeable 450-watt power pod
- 48 oz. pitcher for frozen blending and smoothies
- 40 oz. bowl for food processing and meal preparation
How Does a Food Processor Work?
It is a kitchen appliance which helps in cutting, grinding and shredding almost all types of foods. It also assists in making juices, smoothies, kneading the dough, and beating cake batter.
It involves various components such as a motor, a bowl, and a lid, different types of blades for multiple functions performed by the processor.
Some food processors are far more flexible than others and can do many different types of functions, for example, the Best choice multifunctional food processor is equipped with incredible features and functions.
Uses of a Food Processor
- Crushing, grinding, and mixing are the functions that are involved in the making of chutney, curries, gravies, and other mixes,, which are used as essential ingredients in most of the food dishes. The food processor efficiently performs the above functions.
- You can also use it for the preparation of shakes, juices, and smoothies. There are various parts and fittings present in the food processor that are helpful in the preparation of different types of shakes and smoothies.
- You can also use a food processor as an efficient slicing device with the right kind of blades attached, which makes the preparation of chips and fries very easy and less time-consuming.
- It is also used in chopping and cutting of meat and vegetables, making slicing and cutting as its significant functions.
- A food processor is also handy in kneading and mixing of dough, which is considered the most energy-consuming and tedious functions of the cooking process.
Making Smoothies in a Food Processor
Now that weÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ve spoken about the things that a food processor can do, we know that it can perform various functions that are helpful in the food prep process.
However, they are more suited to solid or semi-solid food processing instead of making liquids. But if you really want to get the most of your appliance and donÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t want to buy a blender as of now, you can make a smoothie from it, keeping in mind a few points.
- To make this work, you should not add all the ingredients in your smoothie recipe at once and turn it on, the ingredient may not blend well or even fly out of the spout.
- Do not overfill the appliance with liquid.
- Crush or smush your solid ingredient first and push them towards the blade to chop them finely
- Instead of using ice, use frozen fruit
- Some food processors also come with a blender attachment, so you could buy one for a try multi-purpose experience.
If you are craving for smoothies and you are unable to find a mixer, you can turn towards your food processor. Here are the common steps to follow when making a smoothie with a food processor:
- Fresh fruit or frozen fruit
- Green vegetable (spinach or kales depends on you)
- Health or energy booster (utterly optional as per your taste)
- Little liquid (sweet or unsweetened depends on you)
- If youÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢re making smoothies for kids then try adding a sweetener
Step 1: Adding Green Ingredients First
You should first add greens to your smoothies like spinach, beet greens, kale, or swiss chards and romaine if you are opting for greens. Putting them towards the bottom will blend them properly.
Step 2: Now Add the Fruit of your Choice
Now its time to add fruit of your choice after adding the greens for the smoothies. Adding frozen fruit makes your smoothy slushier.
Take advantage of the spot and add the fruits/vegetables one by one. You can use frozen pineapples, bananas, berries, and mangoes as standard fruit bases, but you can add any fruit of your choice.
Step 3: Healthy Booster(s) for Smoothies
Smoothies can be very beneficial for your health if you add one or more health boosters in it. Here we have named a few energy boosters which you can try:
- Energy Boost: raw cacao, maca powder, bee pollen
- Protein: hemp seeds, protein powder, chia seeds
- Healthy Fats: avocado, coconut oil, almond butter
- Fiber: oats, flax seeds, shredded coconut
- Antioxidant: goji berries, acai, spirulina
Step 4: Adding Liquid Base
After adding the health booster to the smoothy mixture, now its time to add a liquid base to the food processor.
Instead of regular milk, you can also go for Almond milk, soy milk, and coconut water are all great alternatives instead of regular milk to make it healthier, if you prefer a non-dairy option.
Yogurt and Kefir are also semi-liquid options if you like a thicker smoothie. You can use the sweetener of your choice, for example, honey, maple syrup, agave nectar, or dates to give your smoothie a sweeter taste. So now add sweetener to your smoothie mixture.
Step 5: Blend together the (mixture) Ingredients
Put the lid on the appliance and mix all the ingredients by blending it. Now mix it well by scraping the mix at the bottom and further continue to blend.
Step 6: Remove Blade and Pour the Smoothie
Remove the blade from the food processor. After that, pour your smoothie to the glass with the help of spatula if it’s very thick. Pouring smoothies out is much easier in a blender as it has a curved edge on the rim to prevent spills. Serve immediately.
Final Thoughts on smoothie in food processor
The answer to your question is yes, it is possible to make a smoothie in a food processor! Of course, this process will be much easier with a blender and you might not be able to get a smooth consistency without it.
Just like blenders, food processors are a must have and in the kitchen and as you can tell there are many things you can do with it.
But if you just have one appliance or have broken your blender, you can make do with a food processor just fine. And I truly believe that any kind of juices or smoothies made at home is better than a sugar-rich store-bought one you can also search for smoothie recipes that are so good.
Agnes is a kitchen and cooking enthusiast as well as a fitness fanatic. She loves to help readers upgrade their kitchen with the best available products!